Tuesday, January 29, 2008

28 Years Later... Or Happy Birthday To Me!

Sometimes I have to stop and take a moment to really just look around. I am surrounded by amazing people everyday and I think I am as guilty as most of forgetting that. Today is my 28th birthday (Somehow even saying that is painful) Today doesn’t seem to be any different than the day that preceded it nor will it be any different than the days that follow it and yet to me and a handful of others it is supposed to be a celebrated day. I don’t know if my indifference to my birthday has something to do with the obvious separation that I have driven between myself and my family, or if I really have become the emotionless person I have joked about being for so long. I want to mention that Heath Ledger died a week ago today. I have to be honest that scared me more than a little. I joke about getting older but when someone my age dies... Well it will scare the life out of you. He was an amazing actor and Hollywood is a little darker without him. Not that I'm going to cry over a complete stranger. 

         I haven’t cried in a really long time. I know that as a 28 year old man that is probably a good thing; but anyone who has known me longer than the last 2 years has at least a little inclination that something has changed and not necessarily for the better.  I still have emotions...mostly i can feel them swirling around in my chest and my head, it just seems that I am more reluctant as of late to fully embrace them as I have in the past. The things I say (take the previous encounter at IHOP for example) are meant to be funny, even though as soon as the words exit my mouth I know I have made some kind of cardinal sin. My problem is that the reason I don’t feel guilt is that I was being impolite not dishonest. Am I wrong for that? 

      In a happier vein My roommates through an awesome party for me this past weekend in honor of my birthday. The cool part about the party is that we decided to have it as an 80’s themed party. (Because I was born in 1980... gee we are creative!!!)  A lot of people came dressed up in Awesome 80’s regalia and we had a lot of fun... I have no idea why but leg warmers are far too easily found. Because it wouldn’t be me if my costume wasn’t a little odd I based it off of the cover of one of my favorite ’80’s movies (Say Anything) starring one of my all time favorite actors. (John Cusack) I actually took a photo that looks exactly like the DVD cover. (which I am pretty sure only further proves just how much of a nerd I really am.) The night was for the most part uneventful with one rather unfortunate misunderstanding. 

    I didn’t drink very much which explains why I am having no problem recollecting most of the evening. (It also explains the lack of apology at the beginning of this post!)The same cannot be said for some of my friends. I did how ever have a couple shots of Patron (top shelf Tequila, its like 60$ for a fifth....sheesh!) as well as the last bit of that awesome Mexican pomegranate tequila that red had brought back from Cabo. 

  As far as the unfortunate incident, it really wasn’t as big of a deal as it had seemed at the time but it did get a little out of hand. And unfortunately i scared a couple of folks. As I was mingling Red found me and mentioned that someone was in my bedroom with the door locked... Now under normal circumstances this is not really a big deal but for some reason all that ran through my mind is that no one was going to have sex in my bed before I did. Which sounds completely rational to me even now. Anyway I pounded on my bedroom door and scared the bejesus out of four girls that were trying to have a conversation away from the music. I felt terrible but I think at that point the damage had been done. They left not too much after that... My Bad... 


 My actual birthday was really nice. My co-workers decorated the bank last night and I walked in this morning to see happy birthday James with Spider-man decorations everywhere it was awesome, and then one of my customers brought in a Carrot Cake (my all time favorite) and then the bank gave this huge gift basket with all kinds of cool Spider-man themed gifts... all in all it was an awesome day. When i got home from work i had a quiet night in with my roommates we made Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and creamy Tomato soup, and of course we watched movies. 


  As I said in the beginning of this post I am so very blessed to be surrounded by so many awesome caring friends. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Happy Birthday to ME!!!!!!!!!!! 



Random Celebrities and Moments in History That Share My Birth Day:


Oprah Winfrey.... As in i am Queen of America Winfrey

Tom  Selleck... As in I used to be Magnum PI 

Heather Graham; she was in the second Austin Powers movie as well as Boogie Nights

Ed Burns.... His most recent Movie is 27 dresses... he was also in Saving Private Ryan. 

William Mckinley The 25th President of the United States.

In 1861 Kansas offically became the 34th US State. 

and on a creepier note Jimmy Durante (The narrator of the holiday classic “Frosty the Snowman”) died on my birthday the same year I was born. 

Walt Disneys Snow White was released in 1959


1 comment:

Mr. Brooks said...

I went out had a few beers, and looked back on that Girl that wanted to have sex with a Salior in the back of her friends Ford Station Wagon. Nine months later you arrived. It's funny but I also like super hero's.
Batman, Superman and yes Spiderman also. Can not wait until Super Bowl sunday.
Random Fact of where you was conceived:
OK, lets start with some definitions - what is a 'station wagon'? Well, the very first station wagons were called 'depot hacks' - they worked primarily around train depots as hacks (taxicabs). The modified back ends that made them depot hacks were necessary to carry large amounts of luggage.