Hooray for Single Awareness Day!!! Oh no wait we hate single awareness day... Damn. Valentine’s Day means only one thing to me... That tomorrow the holidays that make me cranky are packed back into their evil little storage containers for a little over nine months... And then Turkey day starts all the nonsense all over again. I have been racking my brain trying to think of positive memories that I have of Valentine's Day and well to be honest I am coming up a little short. I refuse to believe that I am the only sad sack that feels this way. Last year at this time I was dating a sweet little blonde girl, I spent a ridiculous amount of time and money and we broke up a little over three weeks later... I have had quite a few relationships end around V-day.. One wonders if it is something I do or just a mere coincidence... Shrug...
In happier news I bought a new vehicle last week. It is a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer, I am fairly certain it is the first grown up vehicle I have ever owned. As I am normally attracted to little girl cars for the most part. It’s really nice to not have to worry about riding the El Camino off of one of the cliffs on the way down from my mountain top villa. (Did that sound half as pretentious as I think?) Thats how I prefer to think of my home as no matter which direction you approach it you are driving up hill... Driving to work is fun because i hardly have to take it out of neutral as i can cost all the way there. The SUV is Four wheel Drive.. It isn’t quite as cool as a certain Land Cruiser but it is a start.
So February 26th marks my 6 month mark at the bank. Which is a little daunting. The past six months have gone by really fast, it is hard to believe that so many things have changed in so little time. So many things that do not include meeting any kind single women that I can blow all my money on. I spent three hours convincing an acquaintance this evening that we have very few choices when Love is on the horizon. He bought it, I'm not sure i do. I have always been the one that was good at telling everyone what they wanted to hear... Regardless of how far from the truth it may have been. This includes lying to myself when I might be considering actions that fall into those morally gray area’s. The amusing thing about always knowing what people want to hear is that I also have a fairly decent idea of what they do not want to hear. My whole life it has been my mouth more than any other part of me that has caused most of my troubles. Some would imply that lower parts of my anatomy are to blame, as blood flow seems to be flowing that direction in steady intervals. I assure you without my ability to speak the blood would be only rushing to the bench. (See this is what happens when you don’t watch sports and you attempt to make sports analogies!!!)
I have met a few people that have similar problems with their mouths and the abuse of their words. In-fact I can think of one specific person recently that has been bad mouthing me to a friend I hold very dear. He is not yet aware that everything you say and write can and will be repeated ad nauseam to anyone else involved. I promise you I will make sure he is informed... Much to his embarrassment.
Excluding some minor roommate bickering, I have been relatively quiet recently and that has to do with the whole turning twenty-eight and realizing that it doesn’t matter how young I feel when I behave as though i am rapidly approaching 50. My daily routine is so robotic it is almost comedic. I am often in bed watching a movie shortly after nine... I may not sleep until almost two... I am normally snuggled in a blanket, long before ten.
I hope those of you who have someone to spend tomorrow with enjoy your precious Hallmark Holiday as to those of you like myself Happy Single Awareness Day!!!!!
Random Facts of the Blog:
• Long before St. Valentine lived, February 14th had strong links with fertility. The date traditionally is known for when birds choose their mates. (How come the birds don’t have to deal with the Hallmark crap???)
• Roman festival of Lupercalia used to be celebrated on February 15th where young men held a lottery to conclude which girl would be theirs. (Hmmm i need to move to italy)
• In Medieval times, girls ate bizarre foods on St Valentine's Day to make them dream of their future spouse. (if it was bizarre then can you imagine what it must have been???)
• In the Middle Ages, there was a belief that the first unmarried person of the opposite sex you met on the morning of St. Valentine's Day would become your spouse. (LOL My Co-worker is probably going to call in sick after she reads that!)
• The first Valentine gift was sent by Duke of Orleans to his wife, after he was captured in 1415. (you ever wonder if maybe some facts are romanticized?)
• 73% of Valentine Day flowers are bought by men, whereas women buy only 23% of Valentine flowers. ( I imagine its a tad awkward when that construction foreman gets a dozen tiger lilies on the job site.)
• Around 3% of pet owners prefer to give Valentine gifts to their pets, as they are more grateful than humans! (no comment)