Friday, April 07, 2006

Halfway Day!!!

As of today I have officially been in Iraq for six months. Wahoo!!! We’re half way there… Living on a prayer. Or whatever I am so obviously not Billy Idol, wait is that who sings that song??? Hmm I forget… anyway the important fact is that there is from today on out there are less days in front of us then there are behind us. And that is a happy thought if I ever heard one… Where is Tink when you need her?
So it is not as though I have never had a roommate before. Nor is this the first time I went so long with out one and then had one thrust upon me. I have had many roommates, especially since I joined the Army. I found myself thinking about some of the soldiers I have shared a room with over the last 5 years and I think I have figured out why the Invader seems to grate my nerves so much. For one there is a massive age difference between the two of us. The almost 8 years that separates us seems to be an almost impassable generation gap. Another huge difference between us is our internal moral compasses seem to be polar opposites, but I digress. He is really not that bad. Although I have to admit that he seems to be very stuck in that hump anything that moves point of his life. Now don’t misunderstand, I myself would like to be in that point of my life but where as I am actually looking for a candidate for marriage. He is looking for a candidate for a nooner. Hmmm I wonder when I became such a prude. I think I’ll blame my father. Why do you ask? In therapy most people discover if you blame your father long enough the shrink will stamp normal on your folder. As I am not in therapy my father is living a blame free existence. What kind of a “Wink and a Smile” end result would I be if I didn’t blame him for something. And seeing as how complaining about my lower anatomy only reflects my own short comings (so to speak) this is much easier for my ego to stomach, we will leave it at that for now.

In other news it rained again yesterday. Oh joy. So once again everything is a muddy, soggy, icky mess. Oh and of course the damn bugs are out in force. You know of all the questions I want ask God, and trust me there are a lot. (Like why do fat people super size their Big Mac Extra Value meal, and then ask for Diet Coke?) The main question I want to ask is why the bugs? I know there is a reasonable explanation I would just like to hear it from Him. I would also like to know why He gave men two brains and only enough blood to control one at a time. And now back to our show...
I had a ton of fun driving my route today as 80% of it was either under water or completely water logged mud, my new favorite type of mud is the type that gives the appearance of being solid until you are driving at high speeds over it and come to a very sudden and very complete stop. My poor partner, the passenger door on our hummv is broken so it doesn’t shut. Which means that every time I went careening through a puddle at 30-50 miles an hour, he ended up wearing the muddy mess. So of course I did everything I could to... aim for every puddle. I mean after all my door shut just fine. Grin. After about six hours of dousing him, I found a way to jimmy a make shift lock. And because I am such a nice person the only way to open the door now is from the outside. Mwa ha ha ha ha ha! So of course after he was secured inside I would leave him there for a very long time with out any hope of escape. Ahhh I do oh so enjoy the high points of my day.


Random Quote of the day....
"A person isn’t who they are during the last conversation you had with them their who they have been through out your whole relationship. " Lex Luthor Smallville

1 comment:

Mr. Brooks said...

“Wink and a Smile”, that refers to the short time of my life that I was with her. It's been 26 years since we (your mother and I) had anything to do with each other. Give it a rest son, I've passed that mud puddle at 50 MPH.

JON BON JOVI - Living On A Prayer.
Once upon a time
Not so long ago
Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
He's down on his luck...it's tough, so tough

Gina works the diner all day
Working for her man, she brings home her pay
For love - for love

She says: We've got to hold on to what we've got
'Cause it doesn't make a difference
If we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot
For love - we'll give it a shot

We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear
Livin' on a prayer

Tommy got his six string in hock
Now he's holding in what he used
To make it talk - so tough, it's tough

Gina dreams of running away
When she cries in the night
Tommy whispers: Baby it's okay, someday
We've got to hold on to what we've got
'Cause it doesn't make a difference
If we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot
For love - we'll give it a shot

We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear
Livin' on a prayer
We've got to hold on ready or not
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got
We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear
Livin' on a prayer.