Friday, October 07, 2005

Welcome To The Suck !

Well I have officially set down boots in the middle east. I will be here in Kuwait for about a week and a half, give or take. So let me tell you about our trip... We arrived at the unit on Thursday morning at 0345, we had our first formation around 0415 and then we spent the last bit of time we could with our families, or that is to say the people with families spent time with them. I mainly hung around like that little puppy on the cartoon with the two dogs. There were a lot of tears... But I am happy to report that I managed to stifle any that I might of had. So after about an hour or so of the family togetherness people slowly started to drift to their homes and leave their soldiers to the task at hand. We rode over to the Air force base on buses and began the very long wait... Around 1145 am we boarded the plane and flew the first leg of our 17 hour flight. We were lucky enough to be on a commercial flight so we were able to watch movies... All fairly new.. Mr & Mrs Smith, The Fantastic 4, and others. Yeah I slept... Not very deeply but I slept. Once we arrived in Frankfurt Germany we had a 3 hour lay over so we made phone calls and played cards. How boring was this trip.....??? On the way to Kuwait the mood on the plane was obviously a little more subdued... Normally when a plane lands there is a little bit of applause for the pilots... You know the obligatory thanks for not crashing clap... Not so much on the Kuwait landing.... There was a slight groan but otherwise a general acceptance of the Job at hand... We had a like five hour wait before we could get busses to take us to the inprossecessing camp where we will spend the next one to two weeks, give or take, After a couple briefings and in introduction to midnight chow.... (and yuck) we wandered back to the tent and managed to catch a few hours of sleep before first formation this morning... So yeah there is a movie coming out sometime this week that I suggest you check out... Even though it takes place largely in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait during Operation Desert Storm it might give you an Idea of our life over here... Now keep in mind it is a movie and its a movie about Marines so the actual situations are not things we will be dealing with as frequently as the characters in the movie. So don't let it worry you... The Movie is JarHead one of the first lines when the reach the middle East is Welcome to the Suck ! Which I happen to find very fitting. Not to many other things are happening as of right now I will keep you all updated as much as I can... Annie I sent your computer like two weeks ago. I haven't been ignoring your, IMs my name has been logged on one of my friends computers for like 5 months.... I haven't used it in ages.... I hope you are all in good health and hope to hear from you soon....

Random thought of the day... Airplane Chicken tastes nothing like actual chicken...

No comments: